Monday, September 13, 2010

Cake Pops and Waterparks

We had a busy weekend! Friday I decided I was going to experiment with cake pops. I came across this baking blog and decided the cake pops would be cute for Callie's birthday so I wanted to try them out first. I made them Cyclone cake pops since the big game was this weekend. I used yellow cake and then coated them in red with gold sprinkles. They turned out pretty well. I need to perfect my dipping method as many times I couldn't get them as smooth as I wanted or the cake pop would fall of the stick when I was trying to coat it. I haven't decided yet if I am going to do them for Callie's birthday or not but it was fun to try. The site has so many cute ideas and there is even a whole book coming out about cake pops. The kids liked them a lot(I never could get a pick of Gabe with his, he ate them too fast, Callie had one minus the red candy coating, I didn't want to deal with that mess:) Saturday I had to work bright and early at 6 and was able to get off work by shortly after 1. We then headed to the Amana's and went to the Waserbaun indoor waterpark to help celebrate Brady's birthday. The kids LOVED it and had a great time. Callie included, she is our little water baby, she loves to splash in the water. Ty loved the little fountains and was even brave enough to climb up on the play equipment they had in the little kids area. Gabe liked the little area but he spent most of his time on the two tube water slides. He was just over the height requirement so Carl took him up to see if he wanted to try it. Gabe will try anything water related once, he went right down the dark tubes no problem and then practically ran back up the stairs to do it again. He was braver then his mom. It took me awhile to gather my courage to try them, especially the red one which had quite the drop to start off and then was very twisting and turning and really dark, Gabe loved that one and did that one more often then the more gradual dropping green slide. They also had a bigger pool with a basketball hoop and the kids liked to be in there as well. Here are some of the kiddos including the birthday boy! The boys loved the water but also loved staying in a motel. They think it is pretty cool to get to sit on the bed and watch TV and sleep in the same room as Mom and Dad(Ty did NOT want his picture taken here and poor Gabe's eyes were so red probably from all that water shooting in his face going down the water slides). After we swam for quite a while we had pizza, cake and ice cream for Brady's birthday. The boys slept very well that night! Sunday we headed to Iowa City to the first service of a new church that our church helped to plant. Veritas meets downtown in the Ped Mall and had great turnout for their first service. A few of our friends moved to Iowa City as part of the church plant and it was so great to get to see them. As much as I'm a Cyclone I have to admit the downtown Iowa City area is a really cool area and the location of the new church will be great for students. After church we met Uncle Pete at Steak and Shake and waited and waited and waited and waited for our food. We had some very impatient children on our hands but they really did pretty well for having to wait 40 minutes for burgers and fries. It was nice to catch up with Pete a little and Ty added to his laundry for the week since he sat by Pete at lunch, never sit by Ty if you want to stay clean:) It was a great weekend minus the horrendous game but having so much fun otherwise made up for that!

1 comment:

Farmgirl Chaos said...

I have the Bakerella cookbook. Let me know if you want to borrow it. :)