Friday, September 19, 2008

A Week Ago Today Part 3

A week ago today we woke up early but didn't get ourselves ready to go very quickly. Having all 4 of us in the same bedroom was not condusive to sleeping in but we laid around and watched cartoons and let Ty get in a morning nap before we ventured out for the day. After he slept for awhile and we all got ready we headed out to the National Air and Space Museum by Dulles Airport. We had been wanting to go there for quite awhile but it just had never worked out in the past so it was at the top of our list this time. When we got there it was lunch time so we ate at the McDonalds in the museum, $38 later(yes 38 dollars for 3 value meals and 2 happy meals, ridiculous) we headed out to look in the museum. We walked on the upper ramps first where you can overlook the floor of the museum. We saw the Enola Gay and a concorde jet. It is amazing how much stuff they have in there. On the floor Carl was amazed by the fighter jets. This one is the kind they use in Top Gun for all you 80's movie lovers out there. In the back part of the museum they have the space stuff. An actual space shuttle which is huge and many other rockets and things they have used for space exploration. There is also a tower in the building where you can watch flights coming into Dulles. They have a radio that says what kinds of planes are coming in. While we were up there we saw a 747 coming in for landing. After we spent way too much money in the gift shop we headed home hoping the boys would take naps. They didn't accommodate that request very well as they both fell asleep in the car on the way home but then wanted nothing to do with a nap once the actually had a bed to lay in. After we decided nap time had failed miserably we headed to a park at the end of the runway at the airport. We had discovered this park when we worked out there several years ago and knew Gabe would love watching the planes take off. He didn't disappoint. When they took off he stared at them with open mouthed awe and even ran after them a few times. We have video to prove it. It was extremely hot that day so we didn't stay as long as we would have liked but still had fun. It was just as well the kids needed to get to bed since nap time was very short. The grown ups picked up Chipotle and the kids ate PB and J when we got back to Ems and then went to bed.


Sandra said...

Wow that was a fun trip. Thanks for sharing. :)

Mom said...

Grandpa says Gabe may have more luck catching a train rather than a plane!
Looks like you had a good time.
M & N